I am the Media Manager – DIT for Revenge of the Nerd, a new TV prank show starring YouTube star Mark Rober. I am responsible for 26 cameras (!). We have 3 main cameras, several handhelds, and about 10 GoPros.
We are shooting for 2 months in the Bay Area (Sunnyvale, CA), just South of San Francisco. It will air on Discovery+ later this summer. A lot of work, but very rewarding. Great group of people to work with.
This show has exploding bikes, exploding poop, and pool noodle jousting. What else do you need? Nerds UNITE!
Type of Production
Jimmy Kimmel’s production company Kimmelot is the Producer. Here is a great article in Deadline talking about the upcoming show. Below is a clip of Mark on Jimmy Kimmel Live!
You probably know Mark Rober through his infamous Glitter Bomb revenge pranks on Porch Pirates.
I will post the official Revenge of the Nerd trailer here once it airs.
Media Manager/DIT Work Station
Below is a short walk thru of my desk. The main software I use is ShotPut Pro and Google Workspace (formerly known as G Suite for Business).
Revenge of the Nerd Behind the Scenes
Below are a FEW photos of us working on the set. The Suits asked me to take the majority of them down until the first episode airs.
Timelapse of Camera Room breakdown
For our 2 month shoot, Production put us up in the comfy Residence Inn in Sunnyvale, CA. The hotel is about 10 min from the warehouse in Milipitas.
Every day before we work, we do an at home COVID test. We also do a 1/weekly COVID (PCR) test.
Thank you to ITV America for choosing me to safeguard all your media, to Robert Fowkes for being so easy to work with, and finally to Mark Rober for being so dang funny.
Former NASA and Apple engineer. Current YouTuber and friend of science.
Answers to some common questions:
- Studied Mechanical Engineering in School. I did my undergrad at BYU and Masters at USC.
- Worked for NASA JPL for 9 years, 7 of which were working on the Curiosity Rover (I made a video about it you should def totes watch cause it’s probably my favorite of all my videos). Then I created Digital Dudz (made some videos about this too) and eventually sold it after 2 years. Then I worked for Apple in their Special Projects Group doing Product Design as a Mechanical Engineer for 5 years. As of 2019, I just make my monthly YouTube videos.
- Link to free and therefore substandard build plans for my custom workbench can be found below.
- I made a 30 Day Creative Engineering Class that teaches my end to end engineering process so you can make stuff too!
- Check it out here https://monthly.com/MarkRober